Friday, November 17, 2006

What Does Free Software Really Cost?

What Does Free Software Really Cost?: "You've probably seen the many articles infesting computing publications that blather on about comparing TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) and ROI (Return on Investment) for Linux and Windows, and trying to figure out which one costs less to run. I'm no analyst, nor am I a Fellow at some Institute, nor am I a pundit who is paid to pontificate. I'm just an old country system and network administrator who has been running mixed Linux and Windows networks for lo these many years, and since everything works OK and my customers keep sending me checks that don't bounce, I figure I'm entitled to a punditry or two of my own. The bottom line is Linux costs way less to run and works better. That's why I prefer it."



2 comment(s):

you hit it right on the spot dude! ;) Go penguin!

By Blogger yamzzz, at January 20, 2007 1:15 AM  

We actually conducted a rather extensive study to see if Linux and Open Source alternatives like Gimpshop lowered our TCO. We currently deploy 450 linux laptops at our school and offer access to Windows apps, where needed, via Citrix. We are currently saving $142,000 this year versus going with a straight Windows solution. Read the study and supporting data and commentary at linuxlaptops.blogspot.com.

By Blogger Alex Inman, at February 25, 2007 8:52 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home